January 1, 1942
The first ammunition was tested at the Southwestern Proving Ground near Hope (Hempstead County). An army ordnance plant had been built on 50,000 acres of farmland just north of Hope. Four dozen army officers directed the activities and were assisted by an Army Air Corps detachment of about 150 men. Civilian employees—more than 750 daily—were transported by bus from Hope and surrounding areas.