July 5, 1942
The Sunny Side housing project was started in Jacksonville (Pulaski County). This project housed 500 families of employees of the Arkansas Ordnance Plant (AOP) in buildings that had been prefabricated in Memphis, Tennessee. The chief architect for the project was Edwin B. Cromwell of Pulaski County. The AOP, a fuse and detonator plant, was the first national defense industry facility approved for the state as part of the nation’s participation in World War II.