- The search engine will look for entries and media captions that include all of the keywords you select (blues Helena musician)
- If you are looking for results that include an exact phrase, do NOT put your search terms in quotation marks.
- You can limit which portions of the site are searched (entries only or media only). By choosing from the drop-down category options, you can limit your search by subject, time period, entry type, race and ethnicity, or gender.
- Entries may be listed in more than one subject category. For example, a railroad developer may be listed in “Business, Commerce, and Industry” because he was a businessman; he could also be listed in “Transportation” because of his significance to the development of transportation in Arkansas.
- In general, the CALS Encyclopedia of Arkansas categorizes entries in human terms rather than institutional terms. For example, the religions affiliations are titled and categorized as groups of people instead of entities: Methodists instead of Methodist Church or Methodism.
- Destinations and buildings are categorized as things instead of places. For example, a city is a place but a building is a thing.
- Businesses and industries are categorized as things.
- We assign time periods based on when the subject was at its peak. Many entries span more than one time period. In those cases, we have not assigned them to specific periods.
Chicago Manual of Style
Cobb, William H. “Commonwealth College.” CALS Encyclopedia of Arkansas. https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/commonwealth-college-10/
(accessed October 21, 2019).
Cobb, William H. “Commonwealth College.” CALS Encyclopedia of Arkansas. 21 Oct. 2019
< https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/commonwealth-college-10/ >
Cobb, William H. Commonwealth College. In CALS Encyclopedia of Arkansas. Retrieved October 21, 2019, from
Using CALS EOA entries or media on social media:
If you are interested in using content from a CALS Encyclopedia of Arkansas entry on a social media platform, please request permission from the CALS EOA editor – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: CALS Encyclopedia of Arkansas, [Entry Title], [web address for specific entry with hyperlink]
Source: CALS Encyclopedia of Arkansas, Commonwealth College,
If you are interested in using media (photograph, audio file, video file) from the CALS Encyclopedia of Arkansas on a social media platform, please contact the repository listed in the media credit directly. The CALS Encyclopedia of Arkansas does not own the rights to all media on its site, and permission for publication on the CALS EOA does not extend to other websites or social media platforms.