September 16, 2011
The Army-Navy Hospital in Hot Springs (Garland County) was the first combined general hospital for the U.S. Army and Navy in the United States. The hospital officially opened in 1887. The seven-story, fireproof, brick-and-steel facility shown here was built in the 1930s, replacing the original 1880s structure. The building was constructed at a cost of approximately $1.5 million and was later used as a rehabilitation center.