April 16, 2011
Shown in the distance (right) is the building known as the Old Fort Commissary, located on the grounds of the Fort Smith National Historic Site in Sebastian County. Built in 1839, it is the oldest building still standing in the city. Initially used as a commissary, it has also seen use as a barracks, a hospital, and a residence for court officials. For much of the twentieth century, it housed a museum of local history.