April 29, 2012
The Fort Smith Museum of History had its beginning in 1910, when a group of local women learned that the city was planning to tear down the Old Commissary, one of the towns earliest military structures. The city leased the building to the Federation of Womens Clubs, which began to operate the Old Commissary Museum. In 1979, the museum was relocated to the building shown here adjacent to Fort Smith National Historic Site. The name was changed from the Old Fort Museum to the Fort Smith Museum of History in 1999.