January 12, 2012
When the Cleveland County courthouse located in Toledo was destroyed by fire in 1889, several towns actively campaigned for the county seat to be relocated to their town. In 1891, after two contested elections and a state Supreme Court decision, the seat was relocated to Rison. In 1911 the large brick courthouse shown here was constructed to house the county government. The building, which is still in use today, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.