June 4, 2011
Incorporated in 1892, Ashdown, originally known as Turkey Flats, was designated the county seat of Little River County in 1907. During its development in the first half of the twentieth century, many businesses were established. One such business was the national grocery store chain of Jitney Jungle, which was founded in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1912. The Ashdown store, which served approximately 2,300 citizens at the time of this circa 1940 photograph, is shown to the left.