February 27, 2012
Melbourne became the county seat of Izard County in 1875. Since the countys founding, its government has occupied three courthouses. From 1938 to 1940, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) from Camp Sage built the current courthouse. It is the only courthouse in the country partly heated by a wood-burning furnace. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.