January 20, 2007
The river port town of Jacksonport (Jackson County) was settled in the 1820s and, in 1854, was designated the county seat. The Civil War delayed construction of a courthouse until 1869. The brick Second Empire-style structure, completed in 1872, served as the seat of government for only twenty years. When the railroad bypassed the town in 1892, the county government was moved to Newport. The Jackson County Historical Society, which saved the courthouse in the 1960s, turned it over to the state in 1965, when it was opened as the Jacksonport Courthouse State Park. Today, the restored building serves as a museum of local history.