June 16, 2010
The Jacob Wolf House is the oldest public structure in Arkansas. The two-story, dogtrot-style log house was constructed by Major Wolf in 1829 as the courthouse of Izard County. When the county seat was moved approximately six years later, the house became the private residence of Wolf and his family. He lived in the house until his death in 1863. The property was obtained by Baxter County in 1999, and a full restoration was completed in 2002.