December 20, 2012
The first white people to inhabit the area known as Gillett came in 1881 from Fulton County, Illinois. A community soon began to develop, and in 1888, a town was platted on land owned by the Leslie brothers, Thomas and Henry. That same year, the first business was opened by William C. Champion. Today, the small city, known for its Coon Supper, is home to fewer than a thousand citizens.