February 22, 2011
The Eastport, originally a civilian side-wheeler armed by Confederates for river duty, was captured by Union forces in Tennessee. Towed to Cairo, Illinois, in 1863, it was iron plated and commissioned into Union service. It is shown here in 1864 docked at Helena (Phillips County) shortly before participation in the ill-fated Red River Campaign. Suffering major damage, it was blown up in April 1864 to prevent capture.