March 20, 2011
In 1858, Lycurgus Johnson began construction on his plantation home, a two-story, seventeen-room, L-shaped Greek Revival house near the Mississippi River in Chicot County. The house has survived war, floods, and more for almost 150 years. In 1974, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It was donated to Arkansas State University in 2001, and the universitys Delta Heritage Initiative program oversaw its complete restoration. Lakeport Plantation house was opened to the public on September 29, 2007.