November 8, 1880
Mulberry (Crawford County) was incorporated. With the coming of the Little Rock and Fort Smith Railroad in 1876, a permanent settlement near its path had been desired. According to Goodspeed’s Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Northwestern Arkansas, Thomas A. Carter bought the land east of the main road to the river—a road that later became Mulberry’s Main Street—from the heirs of Allan Miller. Carter erected the first home in 1874; Quesenbury and Company built the first business house in 1876. The city was situated in Maxey Township. Mulberry was located in Franklin County until 1895, when Crawford County received the township, by act of the legislature, in exchange for building a bridge over the Mulberry River.