February 13, 2010
In 1884, Paragould was designated the county seat of Greene County. A temporary courthouse was used for the first few years. Plans for a new brick courthouse were begun in August 1887. Completed in 1888, the building constructed by S. R. McGinnis and W. F. Boone cost almost $15,000. The new two-story Georgian Revival was crowned by an impressive clock tower, which was removed in 1965. When a new courthouse was constructed in the 1990s, the old brick structure fell into disrepair. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, it has since been restored to its former beauty.