May 15, 2010

This bridge, dubbed the “Million Dollar Free Bridge,” opened for traffic on May 6, 1922, and was dedicated in a two-day celebration held on May 11–12. Connecting Garrison Avenue in Fort Smith (Sebastian County) with Oklahoma, it was the fourth bridge to span the Arkansas River at Fort Smith and the second for vehicular traffic.

Share

SUPPORT THE EOA

Support the Encyclopedia of Arkansas with a one-time donation or a recurring monthly gift.

MAKE A DONATION TODAY

LATEST POSTS & ENTRIES

Get emails from the Encyclopedia of Arkansas to be notified about the latest blog posts, newest entries, and more.

SUBSCRIBE