October 13, 2009
Shown here is an aerial view of the Walnut Ridge Army Flying School. As one of seven U.S. Army Air Forces pilot-training schools located in Arkansas, it was activated on August 15, 1942. Training for the cadets began in October. By the time the last class graduated in 1944, a total of 4,641 cadets had completed the program.