November 30, 2011

Segregation of the races by law began in the late 1800s and continued well into the 1960s in the United States. All public facilities, including theaters, restaurants, water fountains, and railroad station waiting rooms, were segregated with clearly marked signs. Shown here is the door from the Springdale (Washington County) railroad depot constructed in 1923.

Share

SUPPORT THE EOA

Support the Encyclopedia of Arkansas with a one-time donation or a recurring monthly gift.

MAKE A DONATION TODAY

LATEST POSTS & ENTRIES

Get emails from the Encyclopedia of Arkansas to be notified about the latest blog posts, newest entries, and more.

SUBSCRIBE