September 22, 2007
The Sebastian County town of Greenwood was founded in 1851 but was not incorporated until 1884. Designated as the first county seat, it now shares that responsibility with Fort Smith. By the 1870s, the surrounding countryside had become a main coal-producing area of the state, prompting substantial growth. Part of the growth resulted in the construction of many new buildings, such as the Brownlow Hotel and C. R. Owens Store, shown here in an 1887 photograph.