March 2, 2007
The Arkansas History Commission and State Archives, which today houses the state’s largest collection of documents, photographs, and other Arkansas history materials, was created in 1905 by the Arkansas General Assembly. The holdings of the commission, which are today administered by seven directors, were moved into the Arkansas State Capitol in 1915, where they remained until they were moved to the Old State House in 1951. In 1979, the commission holdings were moved to the grounds of the capitol once again, this time to a new 30,000-square-foot facility. Shown here are the commission members in 1909.