May 16, 2011
In 1933, Crowley’s Ridge State Park in northeast Arkansas became the fourth state park to open in the state. Always a popular campground due to a freshwater spring, the area was further developed later that same year by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). This 1948 photo shows a boy fishing in the three-and-one-half-acre lake, which is today exclusively reserved for swimming. In the background is one of the stone structures built by the CCC.