April 20, 2010
Shown here prior to its restoration is the second Elkhorn Tavern, located on the Civil War battlefield of Pea Ridge (Benton County). The original structure, named for the elk horns mounted over the front door, was burned by Confederate guerillas in early 1863. The tavern was rebuilt shortly after the war using the original south fireplace and the foundation. When veterans began to visit the battlefield, the owner turned the building into a small museum, displaying battlefield artifacts on the walls. The tavern was deeded over to the Pea Ridge National Military Park in 1960 and restored to its wartime appearance.