March 26, 2007
As early as 1912, students of the Yale University School of Forestry were making spring field trips to Ashley County to study southern forests. In 1946, the Crossett Lumber Company offered the university a site for a permanent camp. Sleeping quarters, a shower house, and a mess hall, seen in this photo, were built, and Yale Camp was established. For the next twenty years, the camp served as an important site in the development and evolution of professional forestry management.