November 16, 2010
The Colored Industrial Institute of Pine Bluff (Jefferson County) was one of several African-American educational institutions established in Arkansas in the years following the Civil War. Founded by the Sisters of Charity in 1889, the school was supported by the Roman Catholic diocese and by subscription from local families. Local businessman Wiley Jones was a strong supporter and served on the schools board of directors. Shown here is the circa 1893 student body.