February 25, 2010
In 1937, the University of Arkansas (UA) in Fayetteville (Washington County) offered Henry Alexander a position as professor of government. He founded UAs Department of Government, which was renamed the Department of Political Science in 1966. He taught classes on, among other subjects, the city manager plan. As the states chief advocate of the city manager form of government, he drafted legislation to provide city manager as a choice of government for Arkansas towns. As a result, several Arkansas cities adopted this system.