December 15, 2007
Shorter College in North Little Rock (Pulaski County), originally called Bethel University, provided an early opportunity for African Americans in Arkansas to obtain a formal education. The oldest building on the campus was the impressive Tyree Hall, named in honor of Bishop Evans Tyree. At the time of the building’s construction, Tyree was the bishop of the Twelfth Episcopal District. The building, shown in this early 1900s view, was demolished in 1957.