May 5, 2011

The town of Sulphur Rock (Independence County) was the site of the nation’s last mule-drawn streetcar. Opening in the late 1880s, the transportation system ran its last route in 1926. In 1983, the U.S. Postal Service issued a block of four twenty-cent stamps commemorating streetcars across the nation. One stamp depicted the Sulphur Rock line.

Share

SUPPORT THE EOA

Support the Encyclopedia of Arkansas with a one-time donation or a recurring monthly gift.

MAKE A DONATION TODAY

LATEST POSTS & ENTRIES

Get emails from the Encyclopedia of Arkansas to be notified about the latest blog posts, newest entries, and more.

SUBSCRIBE