September 19, 2009
By the mid-1950s, there was strong local support for the transformation of Little Rock Junior College into a four-year institution of higher learning. In 1956, local business leader Gus Ottenheimer chaired a task force instructed to study the feasibility of such a change. Within a few months, the committee recommended the move. In 1957, the institution became the four-year Little Rock University, which is today the University of Arkansas at Little Rock).