March 19, 2010
Pocahontas became the seat of Randolph County government with the county’s creation in 1835. Before the end of the decade, a two-story courthouse was constructed. After the building collapsed in 1870, a new courthouse, shown in this photograph, was built. Known as the “Old Courthouse” by today’s local citizens, it remained in use until 1940 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.