November 17, 2007
In 1855, the seat of Arkansas County, the oldest county in the state, was moved from Arkansas Post to the more centrally located DeWitt. Founded in the early 1850s, the town was named after New York governor DeWitt Clinton. The story goes that, upon learning that another Arkansas town was named Clinton, the citizens opted for his first name instead. This early 1900s scene shows the long-gone courthouse built in the late 1800s.