August 22, 2012
In the late 1870s, physician John J. McAlmont became associated with a group of physicians dedicated to the establishment of a medical school in Arkansas. He was one of the eight founders of the Arkansas Industrial University Medical Department, now the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS). The opening session of the department was held on October 8, 1879. McAlmont was made professor of pharmacology and therapeutics at the school and served as treasurer.