September 8, 2009
Camp Ouachita, a Girl Scout camp located twelve miles south of Perryville (Perry County), was constructed by the Works Progress Administration from 1936 to 1940 for the Little Rock Area Girl Scout Council. Until its closure in 1979, the camp hosted thousands of seasonal campers. Shown here in 1959 are Girl Scouts canoeing on the adjacent Lake Sylvia. The camp was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 and is currently under restoration.