August 21, 2012
Jones Truck Lines, which was established at Springdale (Washington County) in 1918 by businessman Harvey Jones, made the town a regional center for the transportation of goods. Originally Harvey Jones began hauling dry freight for individuals and businesses with two mules and a wagon. By 1919, Jones bought his first truck for an outfit that, by the late 1940s, would become the largest privately owned carrier in the United States. Some of that fleet of trucks is shown here in the 1940s.