Arkadelphia: Salt Kettle

This salt kettle capable of holding 200 gallons was donated to Henderson State Teachers College (now Henderson State University) in Arkadelphia (Clark County) by the descendants of Captain R. W. Hule, an early settler, banker, merchant, and real estate holder. The legend behind the kettle is that it was used by John Hemphill in an early area salt operation, founded between 1812 and 1814 on land that became Arkansas Territory.

Arkadelphia: Salt Kettle

Courtesy of the Arkansas State Archives