August 1, 1905
Pulaski Heights (commonly called “The Heights”) incorporated. Now an affluent neighborhood in Little Rock (Pulaski County), it was originally a suburban development located on the outskirts of the state’s capital city. The Pulaski Heights development marked the beginning of Little Rock’s westward expansion, a trend that greatly accelerated in the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries. In addition to creating a racially exclusive zone, post-incorporation Pulaski Heights leaders also sought to regulate the morals of the community through ordinances that prohibited “indecent” dress, “lewd” behavior, and loitering. On January 4, 1916, Little Rock voters approved the annexation of Pulaski Heights by a ten-to-one margin, and the suburb became the city’s ninth ward.