January 10, 1950
The Arkansas Governor’s Mansion, located on 8.5 acres on Center Street in the historic Quapaw District of downtown Little Rock (Pulaski County), opened. No formal ceremony marked the opening of the mansion. Instead, the public was invited to tour the new structure. During the week-long public open house, more than 180,000 visitors toured the new home. Governor Sidney S. McMath and his wife, Ann, began moving into the mansion on February 3, 1950. The mansion had been established by an act of the state legislature in 1947. Previously, Arkansas did not have an official residence for the governor of the state.