February 7, 1925
The Arkansas State Normal School changed its name to Arkansas State Teachers College (ASTC); it eventually became the University of Central Arkansas (UCA). ASTC made significant progress under the leadership of President Torreyson, growing from twenty faculty members and 328 students in 1917 to fifty faculty members and 528 students in 1930. UCA has been one of Arkansas’s leading institutions of higher education for more than 100 years. Beginning as a normal school (teacher’s training institution) with approximately 100 students in 1908, UCA has become a comprehensive PhD-granting institution with 11,350 students in fall 2017.