October 14, 1887
The first town council meeting in Sheridan (Grant County) was held in the courthouse. A brick courthouse built in 1909 at a cost of $55,340 was condemned as unsafe during the 1960s and was replaced in 1964. The courthouse is positioned in the center of Sheridan and serves as a symbol of Grant County. Sheridan, which lies approximately thirty-four miles south of Little Rock (Pulaski County), was named after Union general Philip Sheridan when the town was incorporated twenty-two years after the Civil War. In the twenty-first century, Sheridan is a growing community with expanding industries and has one of the state’s largest school districts.