December 10, 1880
The town of Ola (Yell County) underwent a name change. Originally called Red Lick, the area became known as Petit Jean in 1866, after the nearby river. In 1875, the name Petit Jean was discontinued until it was officially changed to Ola. The area that became Ola was part of the Ward Township, Section 3, Township 4 North, Range 21 West. The 1850 Census shows twenty-two families residing within the Ward Township and includes a store and scattered outlying homesteads. Postal service was established in 1848. Early settlers came from North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee, attracted to the area by its cheap land and ample commercial possibilities.