October 31, 1955
The North Hills Exceptional School began with five children, but it tripled its enrollment by the end of the first year. It later became the North Hills Services for the Handicapped. The Sylvan Hills Junior High graduated its first class in 1954. Sherwood has several public schools and magnet schools; the public schools are part of the Pulaski County Special School District. The William Jefferson Clinton School, opened in Sherwood in 1995, was the first school in the country named after President Bill Clinton. Although the schools in Sherwood were segregated in the town’s early years, desegregation was not a major issue. White students now have only a slight majority in the schools, even though the population of Sherwood is seventy-five percent white as of the 2010 census.