July 22, 1876
Malvern (Hot Spring County) was incorporated. The Cairo and Fulton Railroad line had established Malvern as a station in 1873. Tradition holds that the hilly terrain reminded one railway official of his native Virginia near Malvern Hill, and, at his urging, the company gave the name to the new city. Residents of the young community attempted to incorporate in January 1875, but that effort failed, as did a second one in October. The following year, however, the county court issued the decree of incorporation. Samuel Henry Emerson, former resident of nearby Rockport (Hot Spring County) and owner of the first dry-goods store in Malvern, was elected mayor.