July 1, 1902
John Heiskell, then twenty-nine, took the reins as editor-in-chief of the Arkansas Gazette. His brother, Fred Heiskell, served as managing editor. The Heiskell brothers reinvigorated the Gazette at a time when it was considered to be second to the Arkansas Democrat under James Mitchell. Changes included removing ads from the front page, constructing a new three-story building at 3rd and Louisiana streets in Little Rock, and updating equipment. Over the years, the Heiskell brothers reinvested their profits in the newspaper, buying a new press and going to a seven-day-a-week publication schedule. In 1908, they added color comics.