December 19, 1838
Edward Cole, who had bought the Arkansas Gazette from founder William E. Woodruff, became editor of the paper. Woodruff had previously sold his interest in the paper to Thomas Jefferson Pew, who returned the interest to Woodruff in May 1838. Cole, however, was unable to pay his debts, and George H. Burnett took over proprietorship in October 1840, again pledging to continue the paper’s support of the Democratic Party. Burnett, though, became seriously ill, and Stephen S. Tucker assumed control during his absence.