September 16, 1912
A brick train station costing $25,000 was opened at Brinkley (Monroe County) to serve the four railroad lines that criss-crossed the state. Commerce from this favorable position enabled Brinkley to become a regional hub for shipment of lumber and cotton and a transfer point for passenger travel during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. After a decline in railway usage, the station was in danger of being razed, but the property was deeded to the city, restored, and made into the Central Delta Depot Museum. The museum opened in May 2003 for the preservation of regional history, which includes all of Monroe County and parts of Woodruff, Lee, and Arkansas counties.