March 12, 1906
The town of Cushman (Independence County), which had been established in 1886 and was originally called Minersville because of its valuable manganese mining industry, was officially incorporated. The town had ninety-six mining employees, two doctors, and three hotels at a time when the local population was estimated at seventy. In 1958, ore valued at more than $1 million was shipped from Cushman itself, and more than $2 million in ore was shipped from the adjacent Batesville Manganese District. After demand for the manganese ore abated, the community evolved into a quiet bedroom community supported by workers from various commercial enterprises.