February 15, 1888
Hoxie (Lawrence County) became a formally incorporated city after Lawrence County accepted a petition submitted by Dr. G. W. Parker, F. M. Lee, and A. C. Rogers. The town was named for Kansas City, Springfield, and Memphis (KCS&M) railroad executive Jack Hoxie. Hoxie garnered national attention in 1955 when its schools became the fourth schools in the state of Arkansas to desegregate. Profiled in Life magazine, Hoxie’s desegregation caught the attention of the entire country. Hoxie is closely tied to the town of Walnut Ridge, which is Lawrence County’s seat.