February 13, 1913
Gilbert (Searcy County), situated on the Buffalo River, was established, coinciding with the railroad’s moving south from Missouri. The town was named for Charles W. Gilbert, president of the Missouri and North Arkansas (M&NA) Railroad. The Gilbert Saloon, owned by Uriah Still, was the first and only saloon during the town’s heyday. In August 1915, the Buffalo River flooded, and the saloon washed away along with the Eagle Pencil Company mill on August 18. A man tried to stabilize the saloon by wrapping several coils of cable around the building and attaching the end to the railroad tracks, but the cable snapped, and the saloon was lost. According to rumor, full bottles of liquor still rest at the bottom of the Buffalo River.