December 13, 1838
The legislature created a new Searcy County from the southern part of Marion County. The original Searcy County had been established in 1835, but enough people had settled in north-central Arkansas to lead to a petition for a separate county. The act made the residence of James Eagan the temporary county seat and provided for election of commissioners to locate a seat of justice. The commissioners chose a place on Bear Creek as the county seat and named it Lebanon; a post office was established there on March 7, 1840. Between 1840 and 1850, post offices were opened in Wiley’s Cove, Locust Grove, and Point Peter.