June 16, 1976
A nonprofit organization was formed to lease the building housing the Museum of Automobiles from the State of Arkansas. The museum had been reopened ten days earlier by a group of ten Arkansan antique car collectors. They became the board of directors, which manages the museum. Members of surrounding antique car clubs lent thirty-three cars for a new collection to exhibit. In addition to three of Winthrop Rockefeller’s vehicles, showpieces include a 1904 Oldsmobile; a rare 1923 Climber phaeton, which was manufactured in Little Rock (Pulaski County); an unusual 1929 Ford Town Car; a 1967 Mustang convertible owned by Bill Clinton, which he drove while he was governor; and a 1967 Ranchero pickup truck owned by Elvis Presley.